The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

Monday, May 4, 2009
Believe it or not, I have been typing away using the keyboard since I was in the college learning computer science. I didn't even learn how to type after leaving my form 5. I remember the days when I was tortured browsing through the keyboard searching for the alphabets. Really! and to think programming in COBOL needs a long list of instructions. I was like a chicken pecking on the food. Peck ... errr... where is 'A'... peck again....

Most of my friends go for typing classes to learn the skills and techniques of typing with all 10 fingers after the MCE. Me? I learned to drive. I prefer driving as driving at young age was quite a thing back then. Little did I know, learning to type with all 10 fingers is indeed useful. But even if it is not, I still want to learn because I'd think it is something I should be doing. Petty to you, maybe, but not to me. At least not now.

Truthfully, I regret not learning. Yes, after 20 years or so... I do, at times, still peck on the keyboard. Sure enough, I can type. But I type with my eyes on the keyboard and not the computer screen. And pity my poor 2 index fingers. With little help from the rest, they are like succumbing to slavery.

But guess what, I will learn the skill to type with my 10 figures and not looking at the keyboard for the alphabet. Give me 2 weeks ... that was what they say: it only takes 2 weeks to master the '"The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog". Please pray for me ... otherwise I will die and still pecking on the keyboard.

All I need now is perseverence. .... and the article Typing with All Ten Fingers by Christopher Berg.

Here is the figure indicated by colors, on which keys to be pressed by which finger.

Figure: Sun Type 5 layout, screenshot from xkeycaps

0 comments:

Post a Comment